Sand casting is a labour-intensive and dirty process that involves creating a mould out of the sand and pouring molten brass into it. It requires skill, patience, and physical endurance to manipulate the sand and pour the metal without making mistakes. Despite the challenges, sand casting can produce beautiful brass products with intricate designs and details that are hard to replicate using other manufacturing methods. The finished products are durable, timeless, and have a unique character that reflects the craftsmanship and artistry that went into their creation.
Brass door handles, knobs, hangers, door knockers, and other decorative items are popular choices for both residential and commercial buildings due to their durability and attractive appearance. The manufacturing process for brass products involves several steps:
- Sand casting: Sand casting is a process used to create metal parts by pouring molten metal into a sand mould. The mould is formed by packing a mixture of sand and a binder around a pattern of the desired part. Once the mould is made, the pattern is removed and filled with molten metal. After the metal has solidified, the mould is broken to reveal the finished part.
- Cutting and shaping: If necessary, the brass sand casting is processed into the desired length and shape using a lathe machine. This machine rotates the brass at high speeds while a cutting tool shapes the brass into the desired shape.
- Finishing: After the brass has been shaped and cut, it is time to add the finishing touches. This may include sanding the surface to remove rough edges, applying a protective coating to prevent tarnishing, and attaching additional components such as screws or mounting plates.
- Assembly: Once the individual parts of the door handle are complete, they are ready to be assembled. This may involve attaching the handle to a mounting plate, attaching screws or bolts, and attaching any additional components, such as a latch mechanism.
- Testing and inspection: Before the door handles are shipped to customers, they are carefully inspected to ensure they meet all quality and safety standards. This may involve testing the strength and durability of the handles, as well as their functionality, to ensure that they operate smoothly.
Overall, the manufacturing process for brass door handles involves a combination of machines and manual labour to transform raw materials into a finished product ready to be installed on doors.
If you are interested in our sand casting service, please get in touch with us. We look forward to working with you!